There will not be a newsletter next week due to the very short week.
Here's what we've been up to this week:
In math we...
- started unit 3 by naming the parts of addition and subtraction equations (addends/partners, plus sign, minus sign, sum/total, difference).
- learned that the "big daddy" (largest number) comes last in an addition equation and first in a subtraction equation.
- wrote fact families for sets of 3 numbers--2 addition and 2 subtraction equations.
- practiced modeling and writing equations with an unknown result.
In reading we...
- learned about different vowel teams (ee, ea, oa, etc.) and the sounds they make.
- used parts we know from other words to read new words.
- recognized and read unusual words (contractions and compound words).
- realized the importance of rereading to smooth out our voices and notice more.
In writing/language arts we...
- wrote a senses poem, opposite poem, and diamante poem.
- made thank you cards for the Scholastic books the students get to keep each month.
- studied compound words.
- worked on a mentor sentence from Turk and Runt, a fun story about a family of turkeys at Thanksgiving time. We reviewed verbs.
- are continuing to work on writing complete sentences. When completing writing activities for homework, please remind your child to use capital letters and end punctuation for EVERY sentence!
In science we...
- started our Project Lead the Way unit on animal adaptations.
- learned what an adaptation is and different types of adaptations--locomotion, protection, camouflage, and food.
- determined which birds were adapted best for long flights, climbing trees, and swimming in the ocean.
- Please consider practicing addition and subtraction facts at home with your child each week. Strategies we have learned include: counting on or back and using a number line or manipulatives. I will be sending home information about a website to use for fact fluency in the near future.
- Classroom basket items are due November 26th. Our theme is "Spa Day." So far we have...
- two bath bombs
- eye masks
- face masks
- sleep mask
- toe separators
- bubble bath
- nail brush
- sponge wedges
- pumice stone
- body butter
- a bath/shower body cloth
- hair brush
- skin revitalizer set
- nail polish
- travel size shower gel, lotion
- mattifying powder
- volumizing and texturizing powder
- manicure/nail care set
- hot cocoa gift set
- Please sign the envelope and return your child's empty report card envelope if you haven't done so already.
- Homework menus were sent home today but are not due until NOVEMBER 30. Please continue to read over the break! Raz-Kids is a great way to access books that are "just right" for your child. These books can be counted on their reading calendars!
- If your child does not know how to tie their shoes, please work on this at home! If at all possible, have your child wear slip on or Velcro shoes if they don't know how to tie their shoes yet.
- Please be sure your child is dressing for the weather--warm coats, hats, and gloves. They will be outside for 30 minutes after lunch!
- Please be sure your child is bringing his/her book bag back to school on a regular basis so he/she can choose new books and other students can read the books your child has. If you do not need one anymore, just send it back!